Every week, we curate the best recommendations, the greatest insights and top news into a 3-minute read designed to give Aussie marketers everything they need to succeed.
Marketing Trends of 2022: Workshops Now Available
We're now taking expressions of interest for corporate workshops covering everything you need to know about digital marketing in 2022.
We combine the latest research with the insights from 70+ industry experts to deliver practical, relevant and engaging workshops designed to the needs of your team. You can check out our available modules and register your interest here: Marketing Trends Workshops.
- Stephanie Gillies, Head of Marketing and Communications for ANZ at Trustpilot on the Role of Transparency in eCommerce.
- Anna Koleth, Account Director at The Marketing Practice on the Phygital Realm's Challenges.
3 Things You Need to Know in Marketing This Week
LinkedIn Top 25 Startups 2021.
Last week, LinkedIn revealed its 4th edition of the Annual LinkedIn Top Startups List, showcasing the country’s top 25 emerging companies that continue to attract investment and stand out for their innovation. Sayers, a modern advisory and investment business, was featured in the first place, followed by Employment Hero and Koala, in the third place.
Throughout 2021, at Marketing Trends we’ve had the honour of interviewing the leading marketers of 4 of these top 25 startups:
- #2. Employment Hero > Alexander Concannon, Head of Growth Marketing:'On 6,000 SMEs using the platform to manage 250,000 employees'.
- #8. Linktree > Jessica Box, Head of Growth:'On Growing From 3.5 to over 11 Million Customers in a Year'.
- #17. me&u > Clementine Churchill, Head of Marketing: 'On Building the Startup's Marketing Presence'.
- #21. Willow > Kayla Medica, Product Marketing Manager: 'B2B and SaaS Marketing Content for Solo Marketers'
Apps & Games to reach record highs in Q3 2021.
According to App Annie’s recently published forecast, the third quarter of the year will show record-breaking revenues spent on apps and games, with 36B downloads and $34B in consumer spending, a 20% YoY increase. The largest contributor to this growth continues to be in-game spending and mobile subscriptions.
An article by TechCrunch explains: ‘The increase indicates that the COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on consumer habits and behaviour is having a lasting effect when it comes to how people are now using apps for entertainment, shopping, work, education and more’.
New insight into Facebook’s attempts to reduce ‘problematic content’ appearing in user’s News Feed.
In an effort to provide more transparency into its processes, last week Facebook gave an oversight as to how the platform restricts certain content from appearing on the users’ News Feeds.
Andrew Hutchinson, Head of Content at Social Media Today, synthesised the list of categories on which a piece of content might fall into and subsequently, the platform will try to reduce its reach, some of them being:
- Ad farms
- Clickbait links
- Comments that are likely to be reported or hidden
- Engagement bait
- Low-quality browsing experiences
- Low-quality comments; events or videos.
- Pages predicted to be spam
- Sensationalist health content and commercial health posts.
Check out the complete list here > ‘'Facebook Shares Insight into Content that it Looks to Limit in News Feeds', Social Media Today / More information: 'Sharing Our Content Distribution Guidelines', Facebook Newsroom.
Recommended News Article of the Week
Recommended Guide of The Week
'The Most Common Internal Link Building Mistakes: A Semrush Study' by Elena Terenteva, Semrush.
- This tool provides instant, raw search insights directly from the minds of customers.
- ‘AnswerThePublic listens into auto-complete data from search engines, then pinpoints useful phrases and questions that people are asking in relation to your keyword – the ultimate goldmine in search listening tools’ - Scarlett Govey, Hungry Jack's® Australia.
Featured Resources of the Week
Podcast: State of Demand Gen Podcast by Refine Labs
This series provides innovative strategy, advice and tangible tactics from marketers and B2B tech industry experts.
-Stephanie Gillies, Trustpilot.
Blog / Website: Marketing & Sales Insights by McKinsey & Company
The global management consulting firm provides marketing research approaches, tools, and techniques to understand consumer behaviour.
-Anna Koleth, The Marketing Practice.
Book: Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport.
In this book, the author and professor makes the case that in almost any profession, cultivating a deep work ethic will produce massive benefits and presents a rigorous training regimen for transforming your mind and habits to support this skill.
-Rachel Hopping, Superhero.